History of the House
The Story Behind The House
Auburn merchant, A.L. Dillard completed this house in 1894 on what was once part of the Scott Plantation. It was the first house in Auburn to have indoor plumbing and electricity. The grey stone exterior was made using a secret formula invented by Dillard which also made the blocks moisture proof but took nearly three years to manufacture all the blocks needed. Mrs. Dillard became the first woman to register to vote in Lee County on October 12,1920 following passage of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
A Little Of Our Story
In 1927, Sigma Pi Fraternity was chartered here. The James L. Lawson family owned the house from 1939 to 1984 and Greystone was home to Mabel Yerby Lawson who became the first woman to practice law in Alabama. Today, nearly 125 years later, Greystone has been completely renovated and is ready to continue a tradition of gracious entertainment.